Building & Codes Department
Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, add any pool, deck, arbor, or storage building or to erect, install enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert, or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the 2012 International Codes and the 2011 NEC, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.
Exceptions for permit:
- Fences not over 7 feet in height.
- Sidewalks and driveways not more that 30 inches above grade and not over any basement or story below and which are not part of an accessible route.
- Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R-3 occupancy, as applicable in Section 101.2, which are less that 24 inches deep.
- Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one-and two-family dwellings floor area does not exceed 200 square feet.
- Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches from the exterior wall and do not require additional support of Group R-3, as applicable in Section 101.2 and Group U occupancies.
- Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured form the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall. Unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or III-A liquids.